This is the latest construction of Gyamboa’s St. Simon’s Church. The first was in the same location; built circa late 1930’s when some parishioners still lived ‘across the ‘Gyambo’ Bridge’. It was a simple one room construction building. Those of us might remember the ‘Old Timers’ with their ‘strict’ Anglican demeanor and aura of ‘righteousness’ that scared and intimidated youngsters. They were the ‘do what you are told’ types of Caribbean’s adults determined to keep children on their toes. Old timer, Mr, Straker comes to mind as well as the Josiaha elders. They were however, very resourceful people. Somehow they convinced the Episcopalian Diocese to invest in the construction of a new building where they would contribute their labor. And so, the second iteration of the church was built in the mid- fifties. Some of us might remember participating in the construction effort. Older folks lent their trade skills and younger folks carried water to the workers and sometimes a decent luncheon repast. The final construction topping of the bell steeple that would call folks to church on Sunday morning. Others might remember, playing baseball in the open field where the church was situated in the far center field. Hitting the ball over the church’s roof top was a momentous feat. Most often, however well hit balls would bang against the side of the church or worst break a window.
What memories of this or other churches in ‘Church Square’ bring to mind? Share them with us in the ‘Open space dialogue’.